Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Project Two: Linear Self-Portrait


My expectations for Project 2 were basically the opposite of Project 1. I was actually confident for once in my emotionally unstable artistic career. The assignment had to do with line, economy, and portraiture, which is the focus of most of my work. But another big component of the project was patience, something of which I have very little. I tend to jump into projects headfirst. My sketches are more like wild scribbles of undecipherable madness. Unfortunately, sketching is not possible with wire, unless one is willing to buy copious amounts of practice wire. But despite my rocky start, I managed to coax my sculpture into a somewhat decent likeness of me. There are some craftsmanship issues, but overall it’s a freestanding piece with stable interweaving components, even if it didn’t live up to my expectations.






No comments:

Post a Comment