Monday, February 6, 2012

Project One: Pop-Up Accidents











At a glance, Project 1 seemed incredibly cruel. Not only would I have to learn how to think in three dimensions, but I would also have to do so using the delicate and precise methods of pop-up books while addressing the topic of power tools. It was a triple whammy of confusion. The only way I avoided copious amounts of cursing (although a couple of choice words did slip out) was to go back to my roots in cartooning. Instead of being intimidated by the multitude of parts of the miter saw, I chose to focus on humanizing an accident with a relatable and humorous character.
It feels like most of what I learned came from my inordinate amount of mistakes. I had to force myself to take my time and step back from my work every once in a while to evaluate my progress. In the end I feel like I had to learn how to accept my work; even if it’s not exactly perfect, it represents me, for better or for worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment